Gold Cup winners medal on this May 17 date in 1916 for famous former Liverpool goalkeeper Elisha Scott

Posted : 17th May 2020 at 22:46:37

Goalkeeper Billy Scott helped Linfield win the 1904 Irish Cup defeating Derry Celtic 5-1 in the St Patrick's day final at Grosvenor Park.

2 years later he helped Everton win the FA cup, defeating Newcastle united 1-0 in the final at Crystal Palace.

His younger brother Elisha followed in his goalkeeping footsteps - signing for Linfield in February 1911. Not long after turning 18 he followed his older brother to Merseyside in 1912, but not Everton but rather their famous neighbours in the red half of the city.

After the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 Elisha returned home to Belfast and he rejoined Linfield. He made a guest appearance in a friendly game against Belfast Celtic on February 19, 1916.

He made his competitive debut in a 2-0 home City cup win against Glenavon on March 11, 1916.

In total he made 8 appearances for Linfield, the others being

2-0 Charity Cup semi final win v Glentoran at Grosvenor Park on April 15, 1916

1-0 Charity Cup final defeat v Distillery at Solitude on April 29, 1916

1-1 Gold Cup draw v Distillery on April 8, 1916

4-1 Gold Cup win v Glenavon on April 22, 1916

3-1 Gold Cup win v Belfast United on April 25, 1916

1-1 Gold cup draw v Glentoran on May 6, 1916

2-0 Gold Cup win v Distillery on May 17, 1916

The above game was a play off / test match, meaning Elisha won a Gold cup winners medal with Linfield. Davy Rollo scored a penalty and Nixon added the second goal.

The team line up was E Scott, Rollo, Foye, McCandless, Bovill, Bartlett, Brown, Nixon, Houston, Adair and McEwan.

Elisha played in a friendly 2-1 defeat away to Glentoran on May 13, 1916 and he played in a combined Linfield / Distillery team in a benefit game against the rest of the league on May 20.

Elisha then joined Belfast Celtic where he played until 1919 when he rejoined Liverpool. He played over 400 games in goal for Liverpool and earned 30 Irish senior international caps.

He returned to play for Belfast Celtic from 1934 until 1936, managing the club to numerous successes from 1934 until 1949.

He passed away on May 16, 1959 aged 65 and his final resting place is in Belfast city cemetery.
Next Match
No Matches Scheduled
Last Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League Match Report