Pacemaker Press images of today's 5-3 Cup win for Linfield Rangers

Posted : 13th January 2018 at 17:27:08

Linfield Rangers won 5-3 against Ballinamallard Youth in today's Harry Cavan Youth Cup quarter-final which was the first game to take place at New Midgley Park.

The visitors took an early lead before Linfield Rangers hit back to lead 3-1 at the interval. Two of Linfield's goals were from Ben Wylie, with the other coming from Ross Weatherup.

Ballinamallard started the second half strongly and two quick fire goals saw them draw level at 3-3.

An excellent hat trick goal from Ben Wylie restored Linfield's lead at 4-3 before a late fifth Linfield goal from Ethan Wynne completed the scoring and sealed the Cup holders place in the semi-final draw.

The pictures below are from our media partners at Pacemaker Press.

Match report below from Irish FA website

Ben Wylie claimed a hat-trick as holders Linfield Rangers continued their defence of the Harry Cavan Youth Cup with a 5-3 quarter-final defeat of Ballinamallard Youth at New Midgley Park.

In a repeat of last season's final, both sides started the game on the offensive, so it was perhaps no surprise that the deadlock was broken as early as the seventh minute when Andy Boyd fired the Mallards in front when he made the most of a near post opportunity.

Linfield levelled as the half-hour approached, courtesy of a free-kick from 'man of the match' Ben Wylie. His powerful set piece, from fully 25 yards, soared into the back of the Ballinamallard net leaving 'keeper Harry Clarke rooted to the ground.

Both teams kept up the pressure. Linfield edged into the lead on 39 minutes when the Ballinamallard defence failed to clear their lines allowing Ross Weatherup to punish them with a cool but confident finish.

Then, within two minutes, Wylie made it 3-1 with a close range finish to give the Blues a comfortable lead at the break.

The Mallards came storming out of the blocks at the start of the second half when Boyd doubled his tally from inside the box to bring the visitors back into the game.

And barely a minute later, they were back on level terms when Pearse McNabb connected with a half volley to fire past David Walsh in the Linfield goal.

With everything to play for, the game opened up and possession was the name of the game. Both sides had chances but nothing substantial was created until Linfield struck again in the 70th minute with that man Wylie getting the important goal with a strike inside the 18-yard box to give him his hat trick.

Ballinamallard pushed everything forward in an attempt to force extra-time but alas, this was to eventually cost them the game when the Blues exploited a gap for Ethan Wynne to tap home the fifth goal right on the final whistle.

Linfield will be joined in the last four by Cliftonville Strollers, Glenavon Youth and Coleraine Academy.
Next Match
Kick-off : 29th June at 1:30pm
Venue : Windsor Park
Last Match
Irish Premier League
Match Report