Match Details
Season :
Date :
6th January 2018
Competition :
Irish Cup
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Jamie Robinson
Linfield Scorers :
Millar 30’ & 84’, Haughey 49’, Robinson 54’, M.Clarke 60’
Glebe Rangers Yellow Card :
Jake Francis
Linfield Team :
Carroll (GK), Haughey © (Adams 62’), Callacher, Robinson, M.Clarke, Fallon (Waterworth 62’), Lowry, Mitchell. J.Stewart (Millar 26’), Byrne, Campion
Linfield Subs not used :
Deane, Stafford, Garrett, Quinn
Glebe Rangers Team :
McMullan (GK), Shaw (Black 67’), Morrison, Sheapard, Gault, Dobbin ©, Brown (Elliott 74’), Francis, Nicholl (Mitchell 62’), Reid, Christie
Glebe Rangers Subs not used :
Lyttle, Kirkpatrick, Harte, Fullerton
Linfield kicked off the defence of their Irish Cup at home to Ballymena and Provincial Intermediate League side Glebe Rangers this afternoon. David Healy announced the signing of French striker Achille Campion on loan from Cork City during the week and he lined up in attack for his debut after securing international clearance, alongside Kurtis Byrne, as the former St.Pats striker also made his debut after signing for Linfield in November.

Byrne was inches away from a debut goal after just five minutes as he latched onto Mark Haughey’s neat through ball and fired a shot across goal from an acute angle, only to see it whistle past the far post by an inch.

Fellow debutant Achille Campion also went close, as he stuck a leg out in an attempt to convert Kurtis Byrne’s volley, although it was just wide of the goal. The two strikers were looking lively, despite lacking match fitness.

The Frenchman went close again shortly after, getting onto a loose ball inside the box but his shot was well blocked by the onrushing goalkeeper. The resulting corner was met by a glancing header from Josh Robinson but it was comfortably saved by Glenn McMullan once again.

Jordan Stewart limped off after 25 minutes with a leg injury and was replaced by Kirk Millar who would go on to break the deadlock on the half-hour mark, receiving the ball from Matthew Clarke, turning into space and curling a stunning effort into the top corner from 25 yards.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 Glebe Rangers

A brighter start to the second half resulted in Linfield doubling their lead on 49 minutes, as Mark Haughey converted Stephen Lowry’s cross to the back post.

Kirk Millar went close to adding his second and Linfield’s third with a thunderous volley which the goalkeeper got a touch to before cannoning off the underside of the crossbar and away to safety.

The game opened up and the Blues added a third as Josh Robinson powered a header into the net from a Matthew Clarke corner.

Matthew Clarke then marked his 150th Linfield appearance with a goal as he hammered a strike past the goalkeeper from just inside the area on the hour-mark after exchanging passes with Stephen Fallon to make it 4-0 to Linfield.

Josh Robinson almost added a fifth ten minutes from time but his header glanced just wide of the target from Millar’s delivery.

Kirk Millar put the cherry on the icing on the cake with Linfield’s fifth of a cold afternoon at Windsor Park, as he found the top corner for a second time, this time with the outside of his right foot. Sublime technique from the winger.

Full Time: Linfield 5 – 0 Glebe Rangers man of the match - Kirk Millar.

Match Images

Next Match
Irish Premier League
Kick-off : 19th January at 3pm
Venue : Seaview
Last Match
Warrenpoint Town
Irish Premier League
Match Report