Match Details
Season :
Date :
28th August 2018
Competition :
League Cup
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Shane Andrews
Linfield Scorers :
Andy Waterworth (28', 58', 59', 61', 86'), Michael O'Connor (50'), Mark Stafford (79'), Stephen Fallon (88')
Moyola Park Yellow Card :
Linfield Team :
Gareth Deane (GK), Chris Casement, Mark Stafford, Jimmy Callacher ©, Niall Quinn (Jordan Stewart 57’), Robert Garrett, Stephen Fallon, Kirk Millar (Brandon Doyle 82), Jonathan Smith (Benny Moller Nielsen 57’), Andrew Waterworth, Michael O’Connor
Linfield Subs not used :
Carroll, Mitchell, Reynolds, Clarke
Moyola Park Team :
Farniok (GK), McAllister, McQuillan, McClure, Harris (Morgan 64’), Graham (Curry 75’), O. McCauley (P. McCauley 60’) , Tolan, Forrest, Quigg, Greer
There was no stopping Andy Waterworth and Linfield as the Blues stormed through to the next round of the Bet McLean League Cup, with the prolific striker netting five goals in a convincing 8-0 demolition of Moyola Park as the sides met for the first time since 1994.

After a scrappy opening few minutes to the game, Linfield started to assert pressure on the visitors with a few corners but Moyola were able to clear. The first chance fell Jonathan Smith’s way after good build-up down the left wing and he forced the Moyola goalkeeper into a save. Michael O’Connor headed over from a Kirk Millar cross a short time later.

O’Connor and Millar combined again with the striker once again threatening with a header, whilst Niall Quinn’s free-kick was header just over by a Linfield man. Quinn would later go down in the box but his penalty appeals were turned away by the referee.

The Blues took the lead on 28 minutes when Stephen Fallon showed good skill to dance his way through the visiting back line before seeing a shot saved, only for the ball to break for Millar to fire in a cross for Andy Waterworth to head home the opener. 1-0.

After that, Linfield wanted to add to their lead ahead of the break and were denied by the woodwork, not once but twice! Michael O’Connor was first to strike the crossbar with a shot from outside the box, before Stephen Fallon struck the post with an effort following a neat move down the right. Robert Garrett also had a shot from distance saved as Linfield entered the break with a one-goal lead.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 Moyola Park

Off the back of his important equaliser in Saturday’s draw away to Cliftonville, Michael O’Connor was handed a start and after threatening all evening, he got his goal to double Linfield’s lead five minutes into the second half when the Dundalk native headed home from a Mark Stafford cross. 2-0.

The floodlgates then opened as Andy Waterworth went on a rampage, bagging three times in as many minutes! The talisman notched his second of the night when he converted after Jimmy Callacher flicked on a Kirk Millar corner. The 32 year-old completed his hat-trick a minute later with another header moments after being denied by the ‘keeper. Crossgar man Waterworth then added his fourth and Linfield’s fifth.

Popular defender Mark Stafford turned from provider to scorer to dispatch a sixth goal for the Blues on 79 minutes, heading the ball into the net after meeting Kirk Millar’s corner from the left side with conviction.

On a night when Eoghan Quinn was featuring for the visitors, it was Andy Waterworth who showed he had the X-factor as the lethal striker went on to add his fifth and Linfield’s seventh on 86 minutes, slotting past the goalkeeper with real class.

The Blues rounded off a convincing win to end a second half blitz as Jordan Stewart got a flick on Stephen Fallon’s rasping shot to make it 8-0, although Fallon might still be claiming it!

Man of the Match - Andy Waterworth

Full Time: Linfield 8 – 0 Moyola Park

Match Images

Next Match
Kick-off : 20th July at 2pm
Venue : Wilgar Park
Last Match
UEFA Champions League Q1
Match Report