Match Details
Season :
Date :
8th February 2020
Competition :
Irish Premier League
Venue :
Q Radio Arena
Referee :
Steven Gregg
Linfield Scorers :
Andy Waterworth 23', 58'
Warrenpoint Town Scorer :
Ryan Swan 47'
Linfield Yellow Card :
Warrenpoint Town Yellow Cards :
Lynch, Wallace, Hutchinson
Linfield Team :
Rohan Ferguson (GK), Chris Casement, Mark Haughey, Jimmy Callacher, Niall Quinn,, Stephen Fallon, Kyle McClean, Kirk Millar, Joel Cooper, Andy Waterworth, Shayne Lavery
Linfield Subs not used :
Alex Moore (GK), Ethan Boyle, Matthew Clarke, Bastien Hery, Daniel Kearns, Jordan Stewart, Rory Currie
Warrenpoint Town Team :
Gareth Buchanan (GK), Emmet Bennett, Anton Reilly, Daniel Wallace ©, Ben Mullen, Matthew Lynch, Stuart Hutchinson, Mark McKee (Deane Watters 82’), Kealan Dillon, Colm Deasy, Ryan Swan
Warrenpoint Town Subs not used :
Liam Tumilty, Gavin Smith, Kris Cowan, Ciaran McCann, Ryan O’Kane, Lorcan Murnaghan
In the midst of ‘Storm Ciara’, Linfield had to roll the sleeves up in tough conditions to overcome Warrenpoint Town at Milltown this afternoon. Andy Waterworth shows no signs of slowing up as he scored a brace for the second time this week, sending the champions four points clear at the top of the table.

The wind made it tricky for both teams, but particularly for Linfield who were playing against it in the first half. The Blues still mustered up some early chances, with the first falling for Shayne Lavery. The striker was slipped in neatly by Kirk Millar and after turning in the box his low shot was well saved by Warrenpoint ‘keeper Gareth Buchanan at the near post.

The Blues took the lead after 23 minutes. Warrenpoint defender Colm Deasy was caught as Andy Waterworth anticipated his poor back-pass – a header back to the ‘keeper which seemed to hold up in the wind slightly. Waterworth nicked in ahead of the keeper who he lobbed from 20 yards with a great finish for his 16th goal of the season.

It could have and probably should have been 2-0 before the break. Shayne Lavery put in a dangerous cross from the left channel and it fell kindly into the path of Kirk Millar who saw his low shot well saved from close range. The winger was disappointed not to score.

Half chances fell for Fallon whose 20 yard drive was well held, and for Warrenpoint Town defender Ben Mullen who attacked a corner well, but his header was straight down Rohan Ferguson’s throat.

Half Time: Warrenpoint Town 0 –1 Linfield

The hosts started the second half with a bang. Linfield’s lapse at the back presented an opportunity for striker Ryan Swan inside the box and he curled a good finish into the far corner to make it 1-1.

The Blues then retook the lead on 58 minutes. Stephen Fallon floated a free-kick to the back post which was powerfully attacked by Jimmy Callacher who headed the ball across goal for Andy Waterworth. Just as the striker was about to pull the trigger, he was barged down by defender Ben Mullen. The referee pointed to the spot and Waterworth showed guts to dink the ball down the middle, scoring his and Linfield’s second with a panenka from the spot.

Stephen Fallon almost added a third when his strike from distance took a deflection and with the help of a fierce wind travelled towards goal but Buchanan did well once again to hold it.

Warrenpoint nearly drew level once again on 75 minutes when Ryan Swan’s picked out Emmet Bennett in the middle for a free header which he headed straight at Rohan Ferguson. Anywhere else and he’d have scored.

The Blues should have extended their lead a minute later when Joel Cooper got beyond the full back before squaring the ball across goal for the unmarked Shayne Lavery who was denied by a great double save when he looked certain to score.

The closing stages required Linfield really rolling the sleeves up to overcome Warrenpoint and with the help of the travelling support they managed to get over the line against a dogged home team.

Full Time: Warrenpoint Town 1 – 2 Linfield

Match Images

Next Match
No Matches Scheduled
Last Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League Match Report