Match Details
Season :
Date :
1st August 2019
Competition :
Europa league
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Halil Umut Meler (TUR)
Linfield Scorer :
Waterworth (P) 20
Linfield Yellow Cards :
Callacher, Lavery, Healy
HB Torshavn Yellow Card :
Linfield Team :
Rohan Ferguson (GK), Chris Casement, Mark Stafford, Jimmy Callacher, Niall Quinn, Joel Cooper, Jamie Mulgrew ©, Bastien Hery, Daniel Kearns (Shayne Lavery 70’), Jordan Stewart (Kirk Millar 75’), Andrew Waterworth
Linfield Subs not used :
Alex Moore (GK), Ross Larkin, Stephen Fallon, Andrew Mitchell, Matthew Clarke
HB Torshavn Team :
Mork (GK), Eglisson, Davidsen ©, Pingel (Olsen 60’), Hlooversson (Soylu 60’), Justinussen, Jensen, Joensen (Petersen 75’), Samuelsen, Askham, Andersen
HB Torshavn Subs not used :
Lamhauge (GK), Johansen, Wardum, Solheim
Linfield are through to the UEFA Europa League Third Round for the first time in half a century and will head off to Montenegro next week to take on Sutjeska, after Andrew Waterworth’s first half penalty at Windsor Park tonight ensured their progress with a 3-2 aggregate win over HB Torshavn from the Faroe Islands.

Linfield started the contest on the front foot and it almost brought an early goal when Bastien Hery slipped Andy Waterworth through on goal with a neat pass and the striker stormed in before seeing his shot well saved by goalkeeper Bjarti Vitalis Mork.

The visitors called Blues goalkeeper Rohan Ferguson into action soon after when Simun Samuelsen got on the end of a low cross and his low shot asked questions of Ferguson who made an assured stop.

It was, however, Linfield who would draw first blood after 20 minutes. Joel Cooper beat full back Davidsen with blistering pace and as he nicked the ball, the full back lunged in and arrived late, bringing Cooper down which resulted in a penalty. Andrew Waterworth – who became Linfield’s leading scorer in Europe in the Faroe Islands last week – once again found the net as he fired a penalty low into the bottom corner.

Jimmy Callacher produced a fine piece of defending to preserve Linfield’s lead before the break when a HB Torshavn counter-attack provided a good shooting opportunity for striker Rene Joensen on the edge of the box, but Callacher’s heart was on his sleeve as he threw his body on the line to make a crucial flying block.

Andy Waterworth was agonisingly close to a second on the brink of half-time when Chris Casement fired in a vicious low cross across the face of goal, with the striker so close to making contact which would have led to a certain goal. Still, going into the break a goal ahead, David Healy would have been more than happy with how things were going and how his team were performing.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 HB Torshavn

The visitors passed up a golden opportunity in the second half after a relieved Linfield defender got his backpass wrong and attacker Simun Samuelsen, somehow, fired the ball wide when he had time and space from close range.

Midfielder Adrian Justinussen also threatened for the Faroese side when he took on a curling shot from distance which flew just past Ferguson’s far post.

Linfield’s two strikers threatened in the closing stages. Firstly, the ball set up nicely for Waterworth to take on a left-footed volley from the edge of the box but his effort was well dealt with by Mork in the away goal. Soon after, Lavery got on the end of Kirk Millar’s fierce cross but the striker couldn’t quite connect with a flick at the near post.

It’s a quick turnaround for David Healy and his players with the first leg in Montenegro to take place next Tuesday evening. The return leg will take place on Tuesday 13th August at Windsor Park.

Man of the Match - Joel Cooper

Full Time: Linfield 1 – 0 HB Torshavn

Match Images

Next Match
No Matches Scheduled
Last Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League Match Report