Match Details
Season :
Date :
11th September 2019
Competition :
Co Antrim Shield
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Raymond Crangle
Linfield Scorers :
Reynolds 18’, Rossborough OG 57’, McGivern 71’, Shevlin 76’, Waterworth 90’
East Belfast Scorer :
Kane 86'
Linfield Team :
Gareth Deane (GK), Ross Larkin (Trai Hume 45’), Josh Robinson, Ryan McGivern, Matthew Clarke ©, Charlie Allen, Stephen Fallon, Andrew Mitchell, Joel Cooper (Dale Taylor 59’), Matthew Shevlin, Daniel Reynolds (Andy Waterworth 53’)
Linfield Subs not used :
Moore, Casement, Millar, Quinn
East Belfast Team :
Dean Haggan (GK), Karl Rossborough, Taylor Evans, Gary McBride, Ross McCaughan, Nathan McVeigh, Stephen Cockcroft, Sam McNaul (Lee Finlay 65’), Daniel Purkis, Keith Armstrong (Andrew Kane 82’), Joe McWilliams (Gary Workman 59’)
East Belfast Subs not used :
David Ferguson (gk), Luke Braiden, Matthew Tumilson, Marc Roy
Linfield safely secured their passage into the second round of the County Antrim Shield with a comprehensive victory over a hard-working and spirited East Belfast team at Windsor Park this evening as David Healy’s young stars put on a show.

The opening exchanges saw good chances for both teams, the first of which came for Linfield when Andrew Mitchell’s free-kick was headed back across the box by Josh Robinson into Matthew Shevlin’s path, however, he fired over from a good position.

East Belfast – who were backed by a travelling support of around 500 - also had a good chance to take a shock lead after ten minutes when the ball found its way to their star striker Danny Purkis but he fired a shot over from a good position just outside the box.

The Blues went on to open the scoring on 18 minutes when Matthew Clarke fizzed in a cross which Matthew Shevlin teed off for strike partner Daniel Reynolds to finish coolly into the bottom corner from ten yards.

Fifteen year-old winger Charlie Allen almost added a second when he cut inside into the box from an initial wide right position before squeezing a shot just wide of the far corner. Matthew Clarke also went within a whisker when he went on a surging run before combining with Shevlin whose neat backheel sent Clarke into the box and he drilled a shot just wide of the goal.

The gritty East Belfast men almost drew level through Purkis a few minutes before the break when the striker curled a shot at goal which Deane palmed away and Matthew Clarke cleared the danger on the cover.

Midfielder Stephen Fallon very nearly produced a spectacular second in the dying moments of the first half when he unleashed a volley from outside the box which left the crossbar rattling.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 East Belfast

The Blues continued to search for a second goal into the second and Reynolds was next to threaten, latching on to Josh Robinson’s through ball before drawing a good save from the angle.

It took an extraordinary goal for Linfield to eventually double their lead on 54 minutes. Charlie Allen slid the ball through to Waterworth in the box and he was tackled by Gary McBride, only for his attempted clearance to hit off the shin of fellow defender Karl Rossborough, with the ball flying into the net.

Substitute Waterworth made a good impact and almost added a third after twisting and turning outside the box before his shot from range smashed off the crossbar.

Linfield academy prospect Dale Taylor came off the bench on 59 minutes as the fifteen year-old attacker made his first team debut.

The never-say-die visitors almost pulled one back when Stephen Cockcroft’s pinpoint cross picked out Keith Armstrong in the middle and his header from 10 yards was excellently saved by Gareth Deane, returning from injury in the Linfield goal.

Defender Ryan McGivern added a third for David Healy’s men to put the game beyond doubt on 71 minutes when he got across the front post to head home Andrew Mitchell’s corner.

Matthew Shevlin got in on the act when he netted his first Linfield goal on his first start when he took a touch before firing the ball clinically into the corner after being picked out by Matthew Clarke’s pinpoint low cross.

Stand-in skipper Clarke almost got in on the act himself when Shevlin picked him out and he unleashed a well-hit shot, only for Linfield to be denied by the woodwork for a third time.

The East gave their loud travelling support something to cheer when they pulled back a late consolation goal on 86 when Stephen Cockcroft’s low cross was fired home by Andrew Kane in the middle. The amateur league side gave a good account of themselves and cherished their goal.

Andy Waterworth rounded off the scoring on 90 minutes when he tucked away Matthew Clarke’s low cross in the box.

Full Time: Linfield 5 – 1 East Belfast

Match Images

Next Match
No Matches Scheduled
Last Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League Match Report