Match Details
Season :
Date :
11th November 2019
Competition :
Unite the Union Champions Cup
Venue :
Oriel Park
Referee :
Stephanie Frappart
Dundalk Scorers :
Georgie Kelly (2), Brian Gartland, Jamie McGrath, Robbie Benson, Daniel Kelly
Dundalk Yellow Cards :
Cleary, Kelly
Linfield Team :
Rohan Ferguson (GK), Chris Casement, Josh Robinson (Charlie Allen 68’), Jimmy Callacher, Matthew Clarke, Stephen Fallon , Jamie Mulgrew ©, Kirk Millar (Matthew Shevlin 76’), Bastien Hery, Niall Quinn, Andy Waterworth (Daniel Reynolds 76’)
Linfield Subs not used :
Gareth Deane(GK), Ross Larkin, Andrew Mitchell, Adam Carroll
Dundalk Team :
Aaron McCarey (GK), Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland ©, Daniel Cleary, Dane Massey, Chris Shields, Robbie Benson (John Mountney 67’), Michael Duffy, Georgie Kelly (Patrick Hoban 78’), Jamie McGrath (Lido Lotefa 73’), Daniel Kelly
Dundalk Subs not used :
Gary Rogers, Sean Hoare, Dean Jarvis, Andy Boyle
It was a night to forget for Linfield, they just weren’t at the races as Dundalk claimed a resounding victory to lift the inaugural Champions Cup at Oriel Park this evening.

The better team won on the night, although Linfield were not helped by the absentees of two dangerous attackers. Striker Shayne Lavery was not available due to his international commitments as he meets up with the senior Northern Ireland national team ahead of their Euro 2020 Qualifiers against Netherlands and Germany. Joel Cooper was also missing to receive treatment for a facial injury picked up in Linfield’s recent league game against Carrick Rangers.

Linfield’s bright start on Friday night was not replicated at Oriel Park, quite the opposite as Dundalk started like a house on fire and Linfield just couldn’t cope with the pace they broke with as the hosts took the lead on 7 minutes. Michael Duffy raced away at pace on the counter before crossing to the back post where Daniel Kelly choked his shot but the ball fell for namesake Georgie Kelly to fire home the rebound from quick range.

The League of Ireland champions made it two on 16 minutes. Uncharacteristic of the Blues, they were beaten at a set-piece as Michael Duffy swung in a corner and captain Brian Gartland powered home a header.

And just a minute later, Vinny Perth’s men almost scored again. Linfield switched off and Georgie Kelly raced through on goal but Rohan Ferguson made a crucial block. The resulting corner whistled across the face of goal.

The Lillwhites added a third before the break following sloppy play from Linfield at the back. Michael Duffy picked out Jamie McGrath in a central area – he took a touch before hammering in a low driven shot from distance to cap a nightmare first half for David Healy’s men.

A saved free-kick from Chris Casement and a close header from Waterworth was all the Blues threatened with in the first half, aside from Stephen Fallon’s penalty appeal when his heels seemed to be clipped inside the box.

Half Time: Dundalk 3 – 0 Linfield

David Healy switched to a back three at the break and the start of the second half was temporarily better from a Linfield perspective. The Blues almost pulled one back on 53 minutes through captain Jamie Mulgrew when he had space for a shot on the edge of the box but Dundalk ‘keeper Aaron McCarey produced an impressive diving save.

Dundalk showed no mercy as they added a fourth goal on 63 minutes. Robbie Benson was slipped in as he raced beyond the Linfield back line before supplying a cool finish to dink the ball over the onrushing Rohan Ferguson.

The fifth goal came on 74 minutes. Daniel Kelly lifted a cross into the middle which was perfect for the unchallenged Georgie Kelly to nod home from close range.

The hosts made it six, five minutes from time. It was another corner as Michael Duffy put in a good delivery and substitute Patrick Hoban nodded home. It was a nightmare night for Linfield from start to finish.

Full Time: Dundalk 6 – 0 Linfield

Match Images

Next Match
No Matches Scheduled
Last Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League Match Report