Match Details
Season :
Date :
10th February 2018
Competition :
Irish Premier League
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Shane Andrews
Linfield Team :
Gareth Deane (GK), Joe Crowe, Jimmy Callacher, Mark Stafford, Niall Quinn. Kirk Millar, Jamie Mulgrew © (Stephen Fallon 71'), Stephen Lowry, Jordan Stewart (Kurtis Byrne 45’), Louis Rooney (Achille Campion 65’), Andy Waterworth
Linfield Subs not used :
Robinson, Mitchell
Linfield were hoping to making it three consecutive wins and five matches unbeaten as they welcomed Dungannon Swifts in the Danske Bank Premiership this afternoon. Joe Crowe lined up at right back for his Linfield debut with Mark Haughey missing out, whilst Jamie Mulgrew received numerous awards before the match to mark reaching 500 Linfield appearances against Warrenpoint in a 3-1 win on Tuesday evening.

It took 15 minutes for the first chance of the game after a slow start to proceedings, as Mark Stafford took on a strike from around 20 yards out. He called Dungannon goalkeeper Stuart Addis into action but the former Linfield ‘keeper did well to push the ball behind for a corner.

The Swifts were only denied by the woodwork 10 minutes before the break when advancing full back Jarlath O’Rourke was teed up for a strike from just outside the box. He connected well with a curling strike only to see it cannon back off the crossbar with Deane getting a vital touch to push the shot onto the bar.

Minutes later Rodney McAree’s team threatened again. Striker Daniel Hughes nicked a Linfield defender of possession before advancing in on goal. He tried to chip Gareth Deane but the Blues’ keeper did well to stop the shot and Jamie Mulgrew was on hand to clear the danger.

Linfield went close twice in the closing stages of the half. Firstly, Louis Rooney almost got in on a weak header back to the goalkeeper with the Swifts only escaping through a favourable bobble. Then, soon after, Mulgrew was brought down on the edge of the box and Niall Quinn stung the palms of Addis with the resulting free-kick.

Half Time: Linfield 0 – 0 Dungannon Swifts

Jordan Stewart felt the force of a meaty challenge from a Dungannon defender at the end of the first half and after prolonged treatment at the break he didn’t make the second half with Kurtis Byrne replacing him after the break.

Linfield made a brighter start to the second half and substitute Byrne almost made an immediate impact when the ball set up nicely for him at the back post. He drilled a volley on target but it was well saved by the feet of Addis at the near post.

Kirk Millar then fired in a pinpoint cross which Jimmy Callacher was able to meet but he headed just wide of the upright.

Dungannon produced a classic counter attack from a Linfield corner as Mayse and Daniel Hughes combined with the latter inches away from getting on the end of Mayes’ low cross for what would have been a certain tap in.

Mark Stafford was next to threaten for Linfield with an instinctive header which flew just wide after Stephen Fallon did well to steal possession inside the visitors’ box. The final chance for the Blues fell for substitute Achille Campion after being slipped in by Kirk Millar but he volleyed straight at Addis.

Linfield had no answer to Dungannon’s defensive approach and on a frustrating afternoon, despite a better second half Linfield display, the visitors were deserving of their point.

Full Time: Linfield 0 – 0 Dungannon Swifts

Match Images

Next Match
Irish Cup
Kick-off : 4th February @ 3pm
Venue : Inver Park
Last Match
Irish Premier League Match Report