Match Details
Season :
Date :
20th April 2019
Competition :
Irish Premier League
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Jamie Robinson
Glenavon Scorers :
Garrett, McCloskey, Wearen, Marshall
Linfield Yellow Card :
Linfield Team :
Deane (GK), Mitchell, Stafford (c), McGivern, Clarke, Millar, Fallon, McClean (Mulgrew 60), Cooper (J Stewart 60), Cervenka (O'Connor 57), Waterworth
Linfield Subs not used :
Mitchell, Callacher, Quinn and Reynolds
Jamie Mulgrew held the Gibson Cup aloft as Linfield were presented with the trophy for the 53rd time at Windsor Park this afternoon.

Things weren’t as sweet on the pitch, although Linfield did go agonisingly close in the opening stages. Stephen Fallon was first to threaten when he ran with the ball before firing a shot just past the post from the edge of the box. Ryan McGivern was also very unfortunate not to find the net when he connected well with a glancing header from Kirk Millar’s corner, only to see the ball scrambled off the goal line.

But it was Glenavon who took an early lead through a familiar face. Robert Garrett, who departed Linfield for Glenavon in January, had time and space to shoot and he drilled a 25 yard drive into the corner on eight minutes.

Kirk Millar poked a shot just wide before his corner found Marek Cervenka at the back post but the Czech striker fired over from close range.

The Lurgan Blues doubled their lead on 39 minutes with another superb goal, this time from Conor McCloskey smashing the ball into the top corner from 20 yards after a Mitchell layoff.

Josh Daniels almost added a third with a curling shot from the edge of the box but he saw his shot come back off the crossbar before McCloskey’s follow-up shot was well saved by Gareth Deane.

Half Time: Linfield 0 – 2 Glenavon

Glenavon added a third goal on the hour-mark when Eoin Wearen sidestepped his man inside the box before firing a shot into the far corner.

David Healy unleashed some of his big guns from the bench and they almost got a goal back but the diving Stephen Fallon couldn’t quite get a head to Mitchell’s cross.

Rhys Marshall added a fourth for Glenavon when the ball dropped kindly from Andrew Mitchell’s corner and the defender hammered the ball into the net.

Stephen Murray went close with a curling shot which flew past the far post but even this defeat didn't dampen the title celebrations to mark an excellent season where Linfield wrapped up the title with three games to spare.

Full Time: Linfield 0 – 4 Glenavon

Match Images

Next Match
Tre Fiori FC
UEFA Champions League
Kick-off : 8th August @ 2pm
Venue : Nyon, Switzerland
Last Match
Friendly Match Report