Match Details
Season :
Date :
8th August 2020
Competition :
UEFA Champions League
Venue :
Nyon, Switzerland
Referee :
Balázs Berke HUN
Linfield Scorers :
Hery 71’ Manzinga 83'
Linfield Yellow Cards :
Hery, Larkin and Manzinga
Tre Fiori FC Red Card :
Linfield Team :
1 - Chris Johns
24 - Ethan Boyle
31 - Niall Quinn
3 - Ross Larkin
6 - Jimmy Callacher
18 - Kyle McClean - replaced by Bastien Hery
22 - Jamie Mulgrew
12 - Kirk Millar
17 - Daniel Kearns
15 - Navid Nasseri - replaced by Christy Manzinga
14 - Shayne Lavery - replaced by Andrew Waterworth
Linfield Subs not used :
40 - Alex Moore
2 - Mark Stafford
16 - Matthew Clarke
25 - Conor Pepper
Linfield progressed to the final of the preliminary tournament in the UEFA Champions League courtesy of this 2-0 win behind closed doors in Nyon, Switzerland against Tre Fiori of San Marino.

It was a match in which Jamie Mulgrew played his 37th European game for Linfield, putting him clear at the top of the leader board as Linfield’s all time leading appearance maker in European competitions.

New signings Chris Johns and Navid Nasseri made debuts in the starting line up with the 2 other new signings Christy Manzinga and Conor Pepper on the bench.

The weather was very warm with water breaks in operation in both halves of the game.

The first half saw Linfield in control but unable to create any clear cut chances to break down a stubborn rearguard.

In the final minute of the half Linfield had strong penalty claims waved away by the Hungarian referee when Shayne Lavery appeared to be held back in the box.

Half time - Tre Fiori 0 Linfield 0

On 48 minutes Linfield came close to taking the lead when Daniel Kearns got on the end of a Kirk Millar right wing cross but his close range effort was bundled off the line by a Tre Fiori defender.

A minute later Linfield came close again - this time it was a left wing cross that was met beautifully first time by Kirk Millar but his close range volley was tipped over the bar at point blank range by the Tre Fiori keeper - it was a stunning save.

Linfield continued to boss the game in the heat and on 63 minutes David Healy made a triple substitution - Manzinga, Hery and Waterworth replacing Lavery, McClean and Nasseri.

The move paid immediate dividends with all 3 combining on 71 minutes - great strength by Manzinga teed up Bastien Hery to rifle home a stunning strike from outside the box into the top corner to give Linfield the 1-0 lead the side deserved.

Jamie Mulgrew picked up an injury soon after and received extensive treatment on the pitch and at the side of the pitch with Linfield temporarily down to 10 men for 5 minutes having used up all our substitutions.

Skipper Mulgrew returned to the action and on 81 minutes Linfield made the game safe with a second goal.

A long goal kick by Chris Johns deceived the Tre Fiori keeper and the ball bounced over his head allowing Christy Manzinga to nip in and score a debut goal.

Linfield picked up 3 yellow cards from the Hungarian ref - Hery, Manzinga and the impressive Larkin.

Tre Fiori picked up a straight red card when their number 19 Pracucci made a bad tackle on Kirk Millar just in front of the Linfield bench in the final minute.

Patience was the key to breaking down a well organised defence and Linfield advance to the final on Tuesday courtesy of a well deserved 2-0 win in the sun

Result - Tre Fiori 0 Linfield 2

Match Images

Next Match
Zalgiris Vilnius
UEFA Champions League
Kick-off : 6th July @ 6pm
Venue : Vilnius, Lithuania
Last Match
Irish Premier League Match Report