Match Details
Season :
Date :
27th November 2021
Competition :
Irish Premier League
Venue :
Mourneview Park
Referee :
Tony Clarke
Linfield Scorers :
Manzinga (2) and Salam
Linfield Yellow Card :
Linfield Team :
D Walsh (GK), M Clarke, J Callacher, S Roscoe, T Hume, K Millar (A Carroll 86'), S Fallon (K McClean 82'), C Shields, A Salam (M Donnelly 77'), J Stewart (A Clarke 86'), C Manzinga (M Green 82')
Linfield Subs not used :
J Ruddy (GK), M Newberry
Linfield put right the wrongs of their last visit to Mourneview Park with this convincing win over Glenavon. Three first half goals; a double from Christy Manzinga and a clinical Ahmed Salam volley gave David Healy's side an insurmountable advantage at half time and it was a lead the home side were not able to reduce in the second 45 minutes which Linfield saw out comfortably.

The Linfield manager made 2 changes from the side that started last Saturday's victory at home to Cliftonville. Stephen Fallon came in for Captain Jamie Mulgrew whilst 19 year old goalkeeper David Walsh started in place of Chris Johns who missed out through injury.

The South Belfast Blues, playing in their changed black, away jersey, made a nervy start when Kirk Millar gave away possession on 4 minutes. Former Linfield man Danny Wallace picked his pocket before sliding the ball to Matthew Snoddy but thankfully, the former Crusaders midfielder saw his goalbound effort brilliantly blocked by the outstretched leg of Sam Roscoe.

That early scare seemed to wake Linfield up from their slumber because on 11 minutes, they got the first goal of the game through Christy Manzinga. The Frenchman broke the offside trap on the left, receiving the ball over the top from Kirk Millar. His initial effort was well blocked by Glenavon keeper James Taylor but he made no mistake with his second attempt, drilling the ball powerfully into the bottom left hand corner of the net despite the best efforts of Danny Wallace.

Linfield were not content with sitting on the one goal advantage and on 17 minutes, Manzinga almost grabbed a second when he connected with Matthew Clarke's deep cross from the left only to see his acrobatic bicycle kick fly a couple of yards over the crossbar.

It wasn't long though before big Christy got his second as on 29 minutes, he tucked the ball past Taylor from close-range after a pinpoint low cross from Kirk Millar on the right.

Linfield were moving through the gears and it could so easily have been three on 34 minutes but for the efforts of James Taylor. Kirk Millar dropped a delicious ball over the heads of the Glenavon defence for Stephen Fallon who slipped it into Ahmed Salam but his placed effort from 18 yards was well claimed by the keeper.

Salam, who was having a good game following on from his impressive performance against Cliftonville last Saturday, got his deserved goal on 39 minutes. Matthew Clarke delivered the ball in from the left and Kirk Millar's diving header was superbly cleared off the line by Danny Wallace only for Salam to empathically volley home from 10 yards.

Linfield were good for their three goal advantage going into the break, and had they been slightly more clinical, it could have been a lot more.

Half Time: Glenavon 0 - 3 Linfield

Glenavon started the second half in spirited fashion after the dominance of the visitors in the opening 45 minutes. Danny Wallace picked out Matthew Snoddy at the back post on 48 minutes but Matthew Clarke did well to turn the former Crusaders' man's shot round the post.

Substitute and former Linfield favourite Andy Waterworth found himself in half a yard of space on 71 minutes but Chris Shields made a timely block on his low shot.

The Linfield fans were encouraged by the appearance on 82 minutes of Kyle McClean who has been out injured since March with a serious knee injury. He came on to replace Stephen Fallon who had a fine game in centre midfield.

Jordan Stewart almost put the icing on the cake on 83 minutes when substitute Matt Green turned well on the right before delivering a pinpoint low cross, however the Linfield number 10 couldn't get enough contact on the ball to divert it past Taylor.

In the end, the first half goals were enough to secure the 3 points for Linfield who move up to third in table with a game in hand. Next up is Carrick Rangers at Windsor Park on Tuesday night.

Full Time: Glenavon 0 - 3 Linfield

Match Images

Next Match
Irish Premier League
Kick-off : 29th January @ 3pm
Venue : The Showgrounds
Last Match
Irish Premier League Match Report