Match Details
Season :
Date :
24th September 2022
Competition :
SPFL Trust Trophy
Venue :
Victoria Park, Buckie
Referee :
Chris Fordyce
Linfield Scorers :
Joel Cooper (74) and Niall Quinn (75)
Buckie Thistle FC Scorer :
Marcus Goodall (53)
Linfield Yellow Cards :
Chris Shields, Jamie Mulgrew, Joel Cooper, David Healy
Linfield Red Card :
Chris Shields
Linfield Team :
Chris Johns, Daniel Finlayson (Michael Newberry), Matthew Clarke, Sam Roscoe, Jimmy Callacher (Niall Quinn), Chris Shields, Jamie Mulgrew (Kyle McClean), Stephen Fallon (Cameron Palmer), Joel Cooper (Noah Stewart), Kirk Millar and Robbie McDaid
Linfield Subs not used :
David Walsh, Matthew Williamson and Conor Pepper
Buckie Thistle FC Team :
Lee Herbert, Joe McCabe, Ryan Fyffe, Jack Murray, Mark McLachlan, (Kyle McLeod, 83 mins), Tom MacLennan, (Sam Urquhart, 65 mins), Sam Pugh, Marcus Goodall, (Scott Adams, 85 mins), Andrew MacAskill, Max Barry, Josh Peters
Buckie Thistle FC Subs not used :
Balint Demus, Lewis MacKinnon, Hamish Munro, Cohen Ramsay
Linfield came back from the setback of a red card for Chris Shields and a goal deficit to score twice in a minute through Joel Cooper and Niall Quinn to win this SPFL Trust Trophy game 2-1 at Victoria Park in Buckie, to progress to the fourth round of the competition.

The Blues started on the front foot and had a few early opportunities. Within 25 seconds, Stephen Fallon met Kirk Millar’s cross from the right but the midfielder fired over from 15 yards. A better chance fell the way of Robbie McDaid when he had a free header from a pinpoint Millar free-kick delivery, but the forward couldn’t direct his header on target from close range.

Buckie Thistle then started to threaten, particularly on counter-attacks as Linfield started to lose their way a little. It took a great reflex save from Chris Johns to react and prevent an own goal after a dangerous cross came off Matthew Clarke who then made a vital block to stop the rebound. The impressive Andrew MacAskill also went close a short time later as he turned smartly before firing marginally wide of Chris Johns’ right post.

A big talking point in the match came on 33 minutes when Linfield were reduced to ten men. Experienced midfielder Chris Shields was the man dismissed when his opponent hit the ground. The incident happened off the ball, with Shields accused to have thrown an elbow. The referee didn’t see the incident as he was watching the ball, with the call coming from an assistant official.

Half Time: Buckie Thistle 0 - 0 Linfield

A further moment of controversy and adversity followed for Linfield nine minutes into the second half. Play was stopped with Robbie McDaid down hurt and then Daniel Finlayson – who was due to restart play – was ordered to come off the pitch to address a knee wound. When the play resumed, the referee dropped the ball and Jimmy Callacher was confused and hesitant as home midfielder Marcus Goodall ran to take the ball before a splendid finish from 35 yards over Chris Johns.

On a day that was beginning to become very frustrating, the Blues showed a good response and David Healy’s change of shape helped the cause. A switch to a back three led to more chances being created, as seen when Robbie McDaid’s header from Kirk Millar’s cross drew a good save from the Buckie goalkeeper.

The equalising goal arrived on 74 minutes. Joel Cooper won a free-kick just outside of the Buckie Thistle box following quick feet and the ball was teed off to the winger whose low strike from 20 yards whistled into the bottom left corner.

Linfield then netted again a minute later to get their noses in front. A quick break following a lapse from the Buckie Thistle defence finished with Niall Quinn being picked out running into the box as he smartly slotted the ball across the ‘keeper into the far corner.

The Blues held on for the win, but with a hint of luck as The Jags passed up a great opportunity in the closing minutes. A pinpoint cross from Andrew MacAskill from deep found the unmarked Marcus Goodall who should have netted his and Buckie Thistle’s second, but he headed against the post from close range.

18 year-old forward Noah Stewart who has been in great form for Linfield Swifts came on for his senior debut, playing the last couple of minutes of additional time in front of a good travelling support who will have been pleased with the resolve shown by their team. The Fifth Round will take place on the weekend of 10/11 December, with draw details TBC.

Full Time: Buckie Thistle 1 – 2 Linfield

Match Images

Next Match
Carrick Rangers
Irish Premier League
Kick-off : 3rd December @ 3pm
Venue : Windsor Park Buy Tickets Now
Last Match
Irish Premier League Match Report