Match Details
Season :
Date :
27th February 2016
Competition :
Irish League
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
R. Crangle
Linfield Scorer :
Burns (pen) 30’
Glenavon Scorer :
McCrory (pen) 79’
Linfield Red Card :
Ross Glendinning
Linfield Team :
Ross Glendinning, Haughey, Callacher, Waterworth, Bates (60’ Smyth), Burns, Ward, Clarke, Mulgrew, Reece Glendinning, Gaynor (85’ Kee).
Linfield Subs not used :
McLellan, Millar, Fallon.
Glenavon Team :
Tuffey, Kelly, Dillon, Kilmartin (60’ Sykes), Marshall, Cooper, (Patton) Hall, McGrory, O'Brien, Braniff (73’ Hamilton), Martyn.
Glenavon Subs not used :
Lindsay, Elebert
There was a sizable crowd today at Windsor Park for the clash of the Blues as Linfield hosted Glenavon. David Healy’s Blues made one change to the starting XI with Bates swapping a starting berth with Paul Smyth who was amongst the reinforcements.

The opening ten minutes proved to be a bit of a stalemate. Linfield however began to take a hold and in the 13th minute came within a whisker of scoring. Sean Ward's cross was headed back by Jamie Mulgrew. Jimmy Callacher steamed in to smash a shot from the edge of the box which cannoned off the underside of the bar and out.

Glenavon created their best opportunity in the 20th minute as Declan O’Brien outpaced Jimmy Callacher to get a shot in. Glendinning got down to save the shot and Matthew Clarke tidied things up with Hall lurking.

Ross Gaynor was again putting in an impressive shift. In the 30th minute, Jimmy Callacher met his pinpoint cross from a corner, but Tuffey’s positioning was sound.

Linfield took the lead in the 38th minute. Connor Dillon used his arm to block Reece Glendinning’s effort from the edge of the box and Aaron Burns stepped up to send Tuffey the wrong way and the ball into the net. On the balance of things, it was a deserved lead, which Linfield took into the dressing rooms.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 Glenavon

Ross Glendinning was called to action in the 50th minute as a mistake let Declan O’Brien through on goal. Glendinning raced out and blocked O’Brien’s effort with his legs. Then in the 51st minute Simon Kelly fired wide from close range.

Glenavon missed a golden opportunity for their equaliser in the 57th minute, as they had a penalty saved by stand in keeper Mark Haughey. Declan O’Brien again raced clear on goal but this time Glendinning’s challenge didn't win the ball. Referee Crangle also sent Glendinning to the dressing rooms for an early bath. Despite Glenavon’s glee, Mark Haughey guessed the right way and saved the penalty low to his left – an outcome which was cheered almost as loudly as Burns’ earlier goal.

Gary Hamilton’s men were piling on the pressure going into the final twenty minutes. In the 71st minute, the Lurgan Blues were awarded a free kick on the right, but Kevin Braniff headed over from close range.

Glenavon got their equaliser from the penalty spot in the 79th minute. With the ball pinging about the Blues' box referee Raymond Crangle adjudged Jimmy Callacher to have blocked a shot with his hand. Andy McGrory took on the responsibility and made no mistake to draw Gary Hamilton’s side level.

Andy Waterworth came agonisingly close to giving Linfield the lead again in the 85th minute as his effort from a cross from Burns went narrowly over. Two minutes later another Burns cross caused panic amongst the Glenavon back four but Rhys Marshall headed it away from goal.

Linfield’s ten men were the ones pushing for the winner. In the last minute of injury time, the ball was deflected to Waterworth’s but he couldn't get it out from under his feet and Glenavon scrambled the ball away. Man of the Match - Mark Haughey

Full Time: Linfield 1 – 1 Glenavon

Match Images

Next Match
Tre Fiori FC
UEFA Champions League
Kick-off : 8th August @ 2pm
Venue : Nyon, Switzerland
Last Match
Friendly Match Report