Match Details
Season :
Date :
12th March 2016
Competition :
Irish League
Venue :
Windsor Park
Referee :
Ian McNabb
Linfield Scorers :
Gaynor 21', 90', Burns 86'
Linfield Yellow Cards :
Aaron Burns, Mark Stafford
Glentoran Yellow Card :
Calum Birney
Glentoran Red Card :
Calum Birney
Linfield Team :
Glendinning (GK), Stafford, Haughey, Waterworth (c) (Lowry 80') , McLellan (Bates 67’), Millar (Burns 76’), Ward, M Clarke, Mulgrew, Glendinning, Gaynor
Linfield Subs not used :
Fallon, Kee
Glentoran Team :
Morris (GK), Holland, Kane, Magee, Burney, Rice, Addis (Morrow 70’), Caldwell (Smith 72’), Lavery (Scullion 64’), Allen, McCaffery
Glentoran Subs not used :
Hogg, Gibson
Linfield were hoping to pick up from where they left off in last week’s 3-0 triumph at Solitude as ‘big two’ rivals Glentoran travelled to Windsor Park for this afternoons Danske Bank Premiership clash. Suspensions for Paul Ssmyth and Jimmy Callacher forced David Healy to make three changes from last week’s game with Kirk Millar, Reece Glendinning and Michael McLellan coming into the side for Burns, Callacher and Smyth.

The game started in the quick tempo that you would associate with Linfield and Glentoran matches. Linfield thought they were ahead after five minutes when Andrew Waterworth headed in Ross Gaynor’s deflected effort from close range but he was adjudged to be offside.

After 21 minutes Linfield had a golden opportunity to take the lead from the penalty spot as a Glentoran defender handled the ball in the area. Linfield’s man in form Ross Gaynor stepped up with ice running through his veins to send Glens keeper Elliot Morris the wrong way and put Linfield into a 1-0 lead.

Linfield striker Andrew Waterworth almost doubled the Blues’ advantage after beating the offside flag from Mulgrew’s excellent pass as he ran in on goal and fired at Morris who smothered Waterworth’s shot from the angle.

Mark Stafford was next to threaten Morris’ goal shortly before half time when he headed Kirk Millar’s in swinging corner onto the roof of the net. Ross Gaynor’s penalty meant Linfield went into the break with a 1-0 lead after a half which Linfield dominated with most of possession.

Half Time: Linfield 1 – 0 Glentoran

It was Glentoran who were on the front foot at the start of the second half as they almost equalised within a minute of the second half. Chris Lavery’s cross was met at the back post by Francis McCaffrey but he guided his header wide of the bottom corner.

Waterworth controlled Sean Ward’s lob into the box shortly after before turning and getting a shot away but a good save by Morris kept him waiting on his 30th goal of the season.

Linfield continued to dominate but couldn’t yet find the important second goal as Mark Stafford and Waterworth both went close with headers from Kirk Millar’s pinpoint crosses.

The visitors then saw themselves finishing the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Glentoran defender Calum Birney received his marching orders for two cynical bookings within a matter of minutes.

David Healy’s substitutions worked a treat as midfielder Aaron Burns’ capitalised on an Elliott Morris mistake to dispatch the ball into the corner, doubling Linfield’s advantage to make it 2-0, which was Linfield’s 100th goal of the season in all competitions.

Linfield then made it 3-0 at the death as a superb Stephen Lowry pass found Ross Gaynor lurking at the back post to fire past Morris for his fourth goal in two games for the Blues to put the icing on the birthday cake of our great club.

Full Time: Linfield 3 – 0 Glentoran Man of the Match: Sean Ward

Match Images

Next Match
FC Drita
UEFA Champions League
Kick-off : 11th August @ 5pm
Venue : Nyon, Switzerland
Last Match
Tre Fiori FC
UEFA Champions League Match Report