Match Details
Season :
Date :
28th January 2017
Competition :
Irish Premier League
Venue :
Stangmore Park
Referee :
Ross Dunlop
Linfield Scorers :
Haughey 18’, Waterworth 50’, Stewart 52’, Callacher 64’
Dungannon Swifts Scorer :
Teggart 34'
Linfield Yellow Card :
Matthew Clarke
Dungannon Swifts Yellow Card :
Andrew Burns
Linfield Team :
Carroll (GK), Haughey, Stafford, Callacher ©, M.Clarke, Lowry, Ward, Fallon, Gaynor (Carson 71’), Burns (Stewart 34’), Waterworth (Amuneke 80’)
Linfield Subs not used :
Casement, Millar
Dungannon Swifts Team :
Coleman, Burns (McElroy 71’), Armstrong, Hegarty (Burke 59’), O'Rourke, Glackin, Harpur, Wilson, Clucas, Teggart, Mitchell (McMahon 60’)
Dungannon Swifts Subs not used :
Addis, Lowe.
After a tight start to affairs, Dungannon went close on 13 minutes when neat interplay between Clucas and Mitchell opened up space for Ryan Harpur to hit a low drive from 25 yards but it drifted just wide of Carroll's post.

Five minutes later, the Blues took the lead when Stephen Lowry's diagonal free-kick from just inside Dungannon's half was superbly headed into the far corner by Mark Haughey, who turned 26 during the week.

Former Linfield man Chris Hegarty, lining up in the centre of Dungannon's defence, then tried his luck with a 30 yard free-kick but it was straight into Carroll's arms.

David Healy was forced into making a 33rd minute substitution when Aaron Burns picked up a shoulder injury and he was replaced by Cameron Stewart. We wish Aaron a full and speedy recovery.

The Swifts levelled up on 34 minutes when Andrew Burns burst down the wing and fired in a low cross for Ally Teggart to fire home from close range.

Haughey almost scored his second header of the game from a Gaynor corner but he couldn't keep his header down and the sides went into the break level.

Half Time: Dungannon Swifts 1 – 1 Linfield

Five minutes into the second half, Linfield, sporting black armbands in respect to the former Linfield and Rangers sensation Billy Simpson who sadly passed away in Scotland this week, got back in front when Haughey slipped in Fallon down the right who put it on a plate for Waterworth to fire home for a fifth successive game and notch his 17th goal of the season.

Just two minutes later, Linfield struck again for a two-goal cushion when Cameron Stewart nipped in to take advantage of a defensive mix-up between Andy Coleman in goal and defender Chris Hegarty, flicking the ball over the head of Coleman and nodding into the empty net for his first goal for the Blues.

Whatever Linfield manager David Healy said in the dressing room at the break seemed to work a treat as the Blues struck a third goal of the half when Jimmy Callacher stabbed home from Ross Gaynor's corner, his seventh of the season.

The Swifts almost pulled a goal back when Peter McMahon ventured forward with a mazy dribble but just as he let fire from inside the box Jimmy Callacher put his body on the line to produce a super block.

Substitute Cameron Stewart almost bagged his second when he got a neat touch on Matthew Clarke's low, driven cross but Coleman did well to block.

Linfield almost added a late fifth when Fallon's looping pass was headed down by Haughey into the path of Stewart who swivelled and shot on the turn with a left footed effort that was well saved by Coleman. The game finished 4-1, another important win for Linfield who deserved it with a strong second half performance.

Full Time: Dungannon Swifts 1 - 4 Linfield Man of the Match: Mark Haughey

Match Images

Next Match
FC Drita
UEFA Champions League
Kick-off : 11th August @ 5pm
Venue : Nyon, Switzerland
Last Match
Tre Fiori FC
UEFA Champions League Match Report